Police ID killer in Maryland school shooting as 20-year-old with

Updated 11:32 a.m. | The three-day-old saga of a school shooting in Fulton, Md., came to a horrifying close when the shooter, identified as a 20-year-old man, took his own life Monday morning at a high school, Prince George’s County Police said.

Authorities identified the alleged gunman as Austin Wyatt Rollins of Woodbridge, Va. He had just enrolled at the school on Oct. 3, had attended an “active shooting exercise” at his former high school on Aug. 26, and suffered from “psychological issues,” according to police spokesman Prince George’s County Police Maj. Larry Davis. Davis said Rollins had attempted suicide in the past, but he declined to say by whom.

Twenty-eight students and staff were inside the high school at 5700 Shell Road in Fulton, a suburb of Landover, Md., when the shooter entered shortly before 11 a.m. and began shooting randomly, shooting three students before fleeing. The victims were all students, and the shooter was also a student, Davis said. He was taken to a hospital in College Park, Md., where he was pronounced dead.

Police said a counselor and a school resource officer acted quickly to stop the shooting by removing the children from the building and contacting parents. Authorities also said that Rollins had intended to hurt many more people.

“Somebody did a good job with what they were told to do,” Davis said. “They got everybody out of there.”

What information he provided on the motivations and intent of the shooter was not immediately available. The precise number of students and staff injured was not immediately available.

Arlington County Department of Fire and EMS provided a report on the incident that said six students and two adults were taken to area hospitals by Fire and EMS responders. Arlington County spokesman William Shernoff said in an email that one patient had been taken to George Washington University Hospital, and the other seven had been taken to MedStar Washington Hospital Center. The patients’ injuries were described in the report as “unrelated.”

Updated 1:07 p.m. | After shooting more than three dozen people and killing two, the gunman in Monday’s shooting at the Fulton High School in Prince George’s County turned the gun on himself, said Prince George’s County police spokesman Maj. Larry Davis.

The shooting occurred just after 11 a.m. in the cafeteria of the school, a 12,000-student facility about 60 miles south of Washington. A man with a handgun entered the school and opened fire, and injured 28 students and five adults before taking his own life, Davis said.

Davis said that emergency personnel had rushed to the high school to provide first aid, but the shooter died at a hospital shortly after being taken there. The Prince George’s County Public Schools has been canceling classes since Monday morning and was still closed Tuesday as police continue to investigate the scene, Davis said.

The victims are being treated at area hospitals for gunshot wounds, authorities said. The victims are all students at the school, and authorities did not immediately release the conditions of those being treated.

The hospital system serving the area said it had set up a “help line” for family members who were trying to reach students. The office of Superintendent Karen Garza said on its Twitter account that there was a scheduled school opening Tuesday morning, and that schools would be closed on Monday.

Davis said the shooting had originated in the school cafeteria but that police were not aware of how the gunman’s weapon was obtained. A law enforcement official said Rollins’ mother had received a request from her son to collect a gun that he kept in the family’s home. Davis said he did not know the exact contents of the request.

Davis described the shooter as a “male student” but said his age and gender were not yet known. Davis said the motive for the shooting was still under investigation, but he did not rule out the possibility of a suicide attempt.

He said that Rollins had attended an “active shooting exercise” on Aug. 26 at his previous high school, and the department had previously investigated him over concerns that he was seeking to harm himself. He said authorities discovered that Rollins had attempted suicide in the past, but he declined to say by whom.

Aerial footage showed the school cordoned off as police and rescue workers descended on the campus. Students described scenes of chaos and confusion after shots rang out. Videos from a Facebook Live showed students gathered inside the school, including some wearing their school uniforms,

Leave a Comment